Johann Wilhelm Maun
1856 — 1943
Our departed brother, John William Maun, was born on the 28th day of February, 1856, at Femme Osage, St. Charles County, Missouri, the son of William Maun and Agnes Twiehouse Maun, who were farmers. He received holy baptism by Rev. Bode, the pastor of the Evangelical Church. July 29, 1886, our departed brother was married to Miss Dorothea Block at Bay, Missouri. Leaving their native place, they farmed at Levasy and Wellington, Missouri. In both places they were members of the respective Evangelical Churches. In 1925 they retired and moved to Blue Springs, Missouri on a small farm with their son Henry. As there is no Evangelical Church in Blue Springs, they occasionally attended the services of the Pastors Home, where they were always welcome. Their marital union was blessed with ten children, seven of whom survive, namely, Mrs. Anna Scott, who, with her husband, lived on the same farm as her parents, but in a separate house, being so close by they were a great blessing and help to the aged parents, Mrs. Clara Ahmann, Mrs. Mary Walter, Mrs. Katie Fiegenbaum, Mrs. Emma Tempel; and the sons Emil and Oscar. Their son Henry, who had served our country in the last war, had to make the great sacrifice of being a war invalid the rest of his life. The Lord relieved him from his patiently borne misery by taking him home just about a year ago. Other close relatives left are his brother Herman Maun of St. Louis, Missouri; his sister, Mrs. Matilda Mueller of Washington, Missouri, as well as sixteen grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. It was a special comfort to him and the family that Rev. J. Abele, Superintendent of the Pastor's Home at Blue Springs served them faithfully with the word of God and prayer and the Holy Communion.
Source: Odessa Democrat, Odessa, Missouri; 20 August 1943.