30 July 2011

Immanuel United Methodist Church
  800 North Main Street
  Edwardsville, IL 62025

Immanuel Methodist Church

Edwardsville, Illinois

photo of Immanuel United Methodist Church at Edwardsville, Illinois, about 1903-1906
Jubiläumsbuch der St. Louis Deutschen Konferenz (1905?).

"German M. E. Church Edwardsville, Ills."

photo of Immanuel United Methodist Church at Edwardsville, Illinois, date unknown
Permission of Harriet Fiegenbaum; all rights reserved.

"Immanuel Methodist Church; Edwardsville, Ill."

The photograph on the left, probably dating from the early part of the 20th century, appeared in Jubiläumsbuch der St. Louis Deutschen Konferenz ; herausgegeben nach ihrer Anordnung zur Feier ihres fünfundzwanzigjährigen Bestandes von E. C. Magaret, Friedrich Munz, Geo. B. Addicks (Cincinnati, Ohio: Jennings und Graham, 1905?), between pages 132-134.

The book was published to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the St. Louis German Conference of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. As you might guess from the shape of the photograph, the image was placed within an historical account of the founding of the church at Edwardsville, Illinois. A transcription and translation of that story appears below on this web page.

The printed caption of the photograph reads "Edwardsville, Ill." Someone has added a handwritten caption at the bottom of the image: "German M. E. Church, Edwardsville, Ills."


From History of Madison County, Illinois (1882)

Edwardsville

It appears that Missionary labor by the German Methodist preachers began in the vicinity of Edwardsville, in the year 1847, and had a very small beginning.  An assistant preacher residing at Alton, met Mr. John Stullken, and inquired of him, about the religious condition of the people.  He was invited to make an appointment for preaching at the school-house No. 4, now called Progress school-house, three miles north of Edwardsville.  Mr. C. Bernreuter, a young man of some education and influence previously held private religious meetings in the neighborhood.  Most persons who met there for divine worship were of a marked religious disposition.  They were glad to have religious meetings now regularly held among them.  And they went even to Highland in those times to attend Quarterly meetings, where at a revival of religion many were converted to God.

Among the first members were:  C. Bernreuter, C. P. Smith, J. Stullken, Henry Stullken, and at Pleasant Ridge, Henry Blume and Wm. Blume.  In 1852, a camp meeting was held in the neighborhood of Progress School-house under the supervision of Rev. Phil. Kuhl, presiding Elder, who is still living, and one of the oldest preachers in the St. Louis German Conference.

The Society gradually increased.  E. H. Kreige [sic] and Wm. Kreige [sic] became members, and helped greatly to build up the church.  The society commenced to hold its meetings at Edwardsville, about the year 1855, in the Old School-house on Main Street.  Rev. H. D. Schmidt, being then preacher in charge, resided at Highland, with which place the society was still connected.  In 1860 Edwardsville was made a separate charge, with a preacher of its own, chiefly by the influence of Dr. Weir, Sr., who felt a great interest in the German work, and gave it his hearty support.  Rev. Wm. Koeneke, was the first resident pastor.  He was returned to Edwardsville in 1866.

In 1861, the Quarterly Conference appointed a committee consisting of C. P. Smith, E. H. Kreige [sic] and Wm. Kreige [sic], to see after a suitable lot for a church building and to call a meeting of the society, as soon as convenient to report the results.  But as the Baptist church was for rent, it was thought best to rent it and it continued the place of worship until the year 1866, when it no longer answered the purpose.  The building is at present used for an engine-house.  About the same time a house was bought on Main Street for a parsonage, at a cost of $1200, and the Episcopal Church near to it was rented and used for divine services until 1869; when it was for sale, on the 11th of September, 1869, the trustees, who were, C. P. Smith, J. Stullken, Wm. Kreige [sic], C. Ortman, J. Kettelkamp, reported to the Quarterly Conference that they had bought the church in which they worshipped for $1500.  This amount besides the cost of repairing and changes necessary, which amounted to $349.34, was raised by the society soon after, some of the trustees paying a large share.  The membership was then 140, which is about its present number.

The society carries on two Sabbath-schools of 100 scholars 16 officers and teachers, 230 volumes in the library.  They take 65 Sabbath-school papers, 95 Bible Lessons leafs, contributed $25.00 for mission, and their annual expenses are $8.00.

Wm. Stullken and Herman Engeling are at present their efficient superintendents.

Source: History of Madison County, Illinois: Illustrated: With Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent Men and Pioneers (Edwardsville, Illinois: W. R. Brink and Company, 1882), pages 292-293.


Transcription from Jubiläumsbuch

Edwardsville, Ill.

Die Anfänge dieser Gemeinde datieren bis etwa um das Jahr 1847 zuruck, in welcher Zeit von C. Bernreuter religiöse Versammlungen in dieser Umgegend gehalten wurden.  Später wurde es als ein Predigtplatz aufgenommen und anfänglich von Alton und dann von Highland, Ill., aus bedient.  Die Brüder Riemenschneider, Wm. Fiegenbaum, H. A. Koch, J. Keck, J. H. Thomas, J. Heyer, Hy. Pfaff und Jacob Miller predigten daselbst von Zeit zu Zeit in den Wohnungen der Familien oder in einem Schulhause.

Im Jahre 1857 wurde Wm. Köneke als erster Prediger nach Edwardsville gesandt und von dieser Zeit datiert die eigentliche Gründung der Gemeinde.  Bei seinem Nachfolger, G. Zollmann, schloß sich Vater W. Kriege, der heute noch in seinem 87. Lebensjahre ein thätiges Glied der Gemeinde ist, der Kirche an.  Er wurde bald als Lokalprediger licensiert und durfte in des Herrn Hand viel zum Aufbau der Gemeinde beitragen, indem er in den ersten Jahren fast beständig die Arbeit eines Reisepredigers versah.  Es war ihm vergönnt zu sehen, wie die junge Pflanze heranwuchs, die nun zu einem starken, lebenskräftigen Baume geworden ist.  Auf Br. G. Zollmann folgten als Seelsorger und Prediger die Brüder Ph. Merkel, H. Kriege, M. Schnierle, Wm. Köneke (zum zweiten Male), G. Zollmann (ebenfalls zum zweiten Male), H. Kriege (gleicherwiese zum zweiten Male), H. Bonn, Wm. Fiegenbaum, Ph. Hehner, J. P. Wilhelmi, M. Schnierle (zum zweiten Male), Ph. Skär, J. Schlagenhaus, H. Schutz, A. Bültemann, und der jetzige Prediger, F. Brinkmeyer.

Die Namen der Mitglieder des jetzigen Vorstandes sind:  Verwalter:  H. Bollmann, H. Engeling, Wm. Friedhof, Geo. Stulken, J. Zimmerschied.

Trustees:  F. Spitze, A. Englemann, L. Kriege, H. P. Smith, E. Giese. W. C. Kriege und E. Dude.  Auch besteht ein kräftiger und thätiger Jugendbund nebst einem Näh- und Missionsverein in der Gemeinde.  Die Sonnntagschule wurde im Jahre 1859 gegrundet und Br. W. Kriege leitete dieselbe viele Jahre hindurch als Superintendent.  -- In der Anfangszeit unter der Arbeit von H. Kriege durfte sich die Gemeinde einer besonderen Erweckung erfreuen; auch später, unter der Arbeit von Br. M. Schnierle, belebte der Herr sein Werk und auch in diesem Jahre erfuhr sie eine gnadenreiche Heimsuchung.  Doch hat es der Herr auch zu anderen Zeiten an seiner Kraft und seinem Segen nicht fehlen lassen.  In diesen besonderen Erweckungszeiten folgte die Ernte der Aussaat und gehört deshalb allermeist denen, die gesäet haben.  Der Anschluß an die Gemeinde ist ein normaler geweisen; sie sammelt ihren Zuwachs vornehmlich aus ihrer Jugend, die fast ohne Ausnahme treu und loyal zur Kirche steht.

Rev. Frank Brinkmeyer

Frank Brinkmeyer, der gegenwärtige Prediger, wurde am 18. September 1863 in St. Joseph, Mo., geboren und auf einer Lagerversammlung in 1883 in Drake, Mo., zu Gott bekehrt.  Er fühlte sofort den Ruf zum Predigtamte, obwohl er sich sehr dagegen sträubte.  Später erwarb er sich auf verschiedenen Schulen eine klassische Ausbildung und trat dann zur Vorbereitung für das Predigtamt in unser Kollegium zu Warrenton, Mo., ein.  In den Jahre 1885-86 arbeitete er unter dem Vorstehenden Aeltesten, Br. Geo. Enzeroth, auf dem St. Louis-Distrikt und Moberly, Mo., war seine erste Bestellung.  Im Jahre 1886 trat er in die St. Louis Deutsche Konferenz ein, in welcher er bisher ununterbrochen und im Segen thätig war.

Translation from Jubiläumsbuch

Edwardsville, Ill.

The beginnings of this congregation date back to about 1847, at which time C. Bernreuter held religious gatherings in this area.  Later it was admitted as a preaching place and initially served from Alton and then from Highland, Ill.  Brothers Riemenschneider, Wm. Fiegenbaum, H. A. Koch, J. Keck, J. H. Thomas, J. Heyer, Hy. Pfaff und Jacob Miller preached there from time to time in the homes of families or in a schoolhouse.

In 1857 Wm. Köneke was assigned as the first preacher at Edwardsville and this is the proper date of the founding of the congregation.  It was under his successor, G. Zollmann, that Father W. Kriege, who is still in the 87th year of his life an active member of the community, joined the church.  He was soon licensed as a local preacher and was able, in God's hands, to contribute much to the growth of the congregation, performing almost continually in those first years the work of a traveling pastor.  He was permitted to see how the young seedlings have grown into strong, vital trees.  After Brother G. Zollmann there followed as spiritual advisor and preacher Brothers Ph. Merkel, H. Kriege, M. Schnierle, Wm. Köneke (for a second time), G. Zollmann (also a second time), H. Kriege (similarly for a second time), H. Bonn, Wm. Fiegenbaum, Ph. Hehner, J. P. Wilhelmi, M. Schnierle (for a second time), Ph. Skär, J. Schlagenhaus, H. Schutz, A. Bültemann, and the current Pastor, F. Brinkmeyer.

The names of the current Board are:  Chairman:  H. Bollmann, H. Engeling, Wm. Friedhof, Geo. Stulken, J. Zimmerschied.

Trustees:  F. Spitze, A. Englemann, L. Kriege, H. P. Smith, E. Giese. W. C. Kriege and E. Dude.  There also exists in the congregation a strong and active Youth League as well as a Home and Foreign Mission Society.  The Sunday School was founded in 1859 and Brother W. Kriege served for many years as Superintendent.  -- In the early years under the work of H. Kriege the congregation was able to enjoy a exceptional awakening; also later, under the work of Brother M. Schnierle, the Lord invigorated his labors and in these years as well they experienced a merciful Homecoming.  Indeed, the power and grace of the Lord was not lacking in other times either.  The harvest of the seed corn follows in these special times of revival and belongs especially therefore to those who have sown.  The expansion of the congregation is typical; it gathers its increase primarily from its youth, who are almost without exception true and loyal to the church.

Rev. Frank Brinkmeyer

Frank Brinkmeyer, the present pastor, was born on 18 September 1863 at St. Joseph, Mo., and was converted to God at a camp meeting in 1883 at Drake, Mo.  He immediately felt the call to preach, inspite of his resistance to the idea.  Later, he earned a classical education at various schools and then began preparation for the pastoral ministry at our college at Warrenton, Mo.  In the years 1885-86 he worked under the Presiding Elder, Brother Geo. Enzeroth of the St. Louis District and Moberly, Mo., was his first calling.  In 1886 he joined the St. Louis German Conference, in which he has been continually and abundantly active.

Source: Jubiläumsbuch der St. Louis Deutschen Konferenz. Herausgegeben nach ihrer Anordnung zur Feier ihres fünfundzwanzigjährigen Bestandes von E. C. Magaret, Friedrich Munz, Geo. B. Addicks (Cincinnati, Ohio: Jennings und Graham, 1905?), pages 132-134. Translation by J. Mark Fiegenbaum.